The Great Cheesesteak Debate, Cosmo’s Cheese-mistakes

Dining & Entertainment — By on September 8, 2009 at 12:19 pm
Its reach spans much farther than the traditional caddy corner venues of Pat’s and Geno’s in Philadelphia and in recent weeks has landed right in our backyard with the opening of Cosmo’s Cheesesteaks – a new grease trap catering particularly to those who want the Philadelphia experience without going to Philly.  From the ordering instruction posted for all to see (wit or wit-out onions and a choice of 3 cheeses commonly considered to be the best for this type of sandwich), to their outdoor ordering windows and dressing bars basking in the hot sun they do manage to capture some elements, if not for much more than show.
The sandwiches themselves in this patron’s eye fall quite short in coming close to not even Philadelphia vendors sandwiches, but even a good local offering.  For those who like to argue the point, just rem that “wiz” wasn’t even around for 30 years until after cheese steaks were first created using a good sharp provolone.  Out of the 3 cheeses offered at Cosmo’s provolone was at least one of them, but it was listed last after “wiz” and american sauce.  You know where most will go in this case.
Even I went with american, but I missed the sauce part after glazing over the menu and focusing on the almost too high prices and didn’t realize it until I got my sandwich, which I thought it was slathered in mayo.  The worst part though was that the sauce dominated the sandwich itself in both flavor and quantity.  Not to mention the fact that with every bite I took I ended up with a handful of sauce and onions.  If you could get past the flavorless onions and the sauce, the meat itself was fairly bland.  Sadly the fries were the part of the entire meal, still skinned and crisp.  Don’t bother with the “crispier” fries as they only end up tasting like a larger BK fry.  The cheese steak I would have to say was mediocre at best.
My whole meal consisted of one sandwich, fries and soda and came to near $12 with the majority of that being the sandwich itself.  I say try it once if you must, but then save yourself a few bucks and the disappointment by hitting up some of our local pizza and sandwich shops for a better sandwich.

Its reach spans much farther than the traditional caddy corner venues of Pat’s and Geno’s in Philadelphia.  In recent weeks it has landed right in our backyard with the opening of Cosmo’s Cheesesteaks – a new grease trap catering particularly to those who want the Philadelphia experience without going to Philly.  From the ordering instructions posted for all to see (wit or wit-out onions and a choice of 3 cheeses), to their outdoor ordering windows and dressing bars basking in the hot sun they do manage to capture some elements, if not for much more than show.

cosmos

In this patron’s eye the sandwiches fall quite short in coming close to not even Philadelphia vendors sandwiches, but even a good local offering. For those who like to argue the point, just rem that “wiz” wasn’t even around for 30 years until after cheese steaks were first created.  They started out using a good sharp provolone.  Out of the 3 cheeses offered at Cosmo’s provolone was at least one of them, but it was listed last after “wiz” and american sauce.  Just because it’s easy doesn’t mean it’s good.  Unfortunately you know that’s the option most here will choose.

Even I went with american, but I missed the sauce part after glazing over the menu and focusing on the almost too high prices.  I didn’t realize it was sauce until I got my sandwich, which I thought it was slathered in mayo and not cheese.  The worst part though, the cheese sauce dominated the sandwich itself in both flavor and quantity.  Not to mention the fact that with every bite I took I ended up with a messy handful of sauce and onions.  If you could get past the flavorless onions and the sauce, the meat itself was fairly bland as well.  Sadly the fries were the best part of the entire meal, still skinned and crisp.  Don’t bother with the “crunchy” fries as they only end up tasting like a Burger King fry.  The cheese steak I would have to say was mediocre at best.

Tags: , ,

24 Comments

• GeorgeA says:

U sound like a food snob, u grammer is poor, at best, and I will b glad to know that I will never see u at Cosmos, and probly not at coney island, chicks, or taco bandido.

• Sol says:

Did you really say “u grammer is poor”?

• Bob in Dickson City says:

I have eaten (a large amount), of the ABSOLUTE BEST Philly Cheesesteak ever. It was from a restaurant in Norfolk, VA, called “The Philly Cheese Steak”. I will be going to Cosmo’s in the next couple of days and we’ll see if it lives up to the owners TV claim that they are the best ever. I’m a cheesesteak connoisseur.

• Rich says:

“American Sauce”?! That alone has me tasting bile in the back of my throat. And if those two words put together in the same phrase did not completely disgust me, the $12 price tag sure as hell accomplishes that task.

I frequent 5 other local sandwich shops/diners that have excellent cheesesteaks w fries and cost $6 or 7 on average. I’ll stick with those establishments.

• JOE says:

If your Looking for a Great Cheesesteak Locally try Johnny D’s in Nanticoke. They slice there steaks in house daily and offer American Provolone or wiz Wit or Wit’out .
    There are the Best locally By far. YUM
    There website for directions
    JohnnyDsOnline.com

• T.K. says:

I think the author’s real problem is he doesn’t like Philly Cheese Steaks, because Cosmo’s come very close to capturing the flavor of an authentic one (which, yes, includes “whiz”).

Judging by your writing style, I assume you are in 7th or 8th grade. I suggest in a few years when you get you get your driver’s license you take a trip down to Philly and try a Pat’s or Gino’s steak. I think you will find that Cosmo’s matches up pretty well.

If $12 is too expensive for a large cheese steak, large fries and large soda served to you, I suggest you stick to the dollar menu at McDonald’s.

Seriously, this is the worst attempt at writing a critique I have seen in a while. Good luck in high school.

• Dave says:

I ate at Cosmos today and enjoyed a cheese steak with American Cheese and a small coke. $8.00 for this area is a little too much since there was not a lot of meat on the sandwich.
    The steak was pretty good. However, I felt that they copy too much from Pat’s and Gino’s. They copied the exact words from the menu when you wait in line at Pat’s in Philly. That kind of turned me off to the place. I also feel they misrepresent their menu item of “extra cheese steak”. One would think that this means extra meat, but underneath it says (cheese). They try to put on the snobbish attitude that Pat’s has earned for a great steak. My advice if they care:
    1. take down the copycat sign 2. add some meat to the steaks or lower the price. 3. remove the attitude that doesn’t fit

• Al says:

I love cheesesteaks and make a great one at home myself. The best I have had used to be whitehouse and then I recently tried one at ClamDiggers next to Idle Hour lanes under that hotel. I loved them there and have a new favorite! The atmosphere is a little dark and could use some brighter lighting but I really don’t care because of the great food. I am going to try cosmos sometime soon I am sure.. however, those prices really turn me off.

• dave says:

People reality is that their food flavor is ok but the quantity is not up to par. When they first opened the sandwichs where pretty stacked, if you go now a days it looks like portions are being rationed big time. I don’t mind paying as long as portions are ok, not the case, this has stopped me from going,

• larry says:

you guys wouldnt know a real cheesesteak if it slapped you in the fucking head

COSMOS SOFTBALL RULES

• larry says:

dave to try to run a shop these days

• cos says:

Lay off the grammar part of it, for Pete’s sake.

Truth is, the sandwiches are pretty good. They have gotten smaller as time goes on. They do ride on the bumper of famous philly places which is kind of cheesy and well, wrong. Market yourself, don’t use others name recognition cuz it’s going to bite you. Consider these comments on this site and a dozen other blogs. You connect names like that and people are going to critique one against the other. Just call it Cosmo’s and you don’t already have the connection drilled into your head, review is simple good or bad. These days, these “reviews” matter.

Prices have jumped the curb and crossed over into high, period. We’re not dining in a fine establishment for dinner…we’re grabbing a cheesesteak and fries at a clean looking eat fast and get out kinda place. In this area, you lose an awful lot of family repeat visitors and walking, networked advertisements when the prices are high. Young families are out there at many events and they talk. “Oooh, I was at Cosmo’s last night. Nice place. It was good but geez, cost me $50 for the family. Can’t do that too often”

• cos says:

larry, are you the owner by any chance?

• Atom says:

It’s all about the Whitehouse Deli on Elm. I’ve been to both and Whitehouse gets my repeat business over and over again. A cheesesteak with fresh hand cut fries and a soda will only set you back about $7 and they are fantastic sandwiches with a roll on par with the Amoroso Bakery rolls of Philly fame.

• alec says:

One Word
    JohnnyDsOnline.com
    very good

• Kenny says:

none of you know what your talking about. Momma’s in Bala Cynwood is hands down the best cheesesteak on the planet. Dont agree? even Cosmo himself has said Momma’s is the best.

• charlie says:

there’s a new “philly cheese steak” place on davis st near the corner of pittston ave, scranton.
    the steak sandwiches were great and priced right.
    a footlong steak sandwich with cheese and home made fries was less than $7.
    good deal for very good food.

• Top rank djs says:

Are you crazy the Cheese Steaks at Cosmos are excellent! I just came from there and loved every bite! The Fries Yummmmmmie!

• Alan says:

I found Cosmo’s to be very similar to Gino’s and Pat’s cheesesteaks. Whether or not they are the “gold standard” for cheesesteaks is another question.

But I completely disagree with the authors premise that they miss the mark. They hit the mark they were going for.

• Mark S. says:

Cosmo’s?? Not much meat for the money. Try Bobby O’s on Rt.315 in Dupont. You won’t go away hungry.

• bill f says:

fries suck too mushy an nearly burnt cheesesteaks good tho but prices are high ya get massive cheese steaks at bellas on pittston for around 5.50

• wordy says:

only had the cheese fries at cosmos – I thought they were good – i could not get through the wordy writing of the author, sentences too long…

• TillyD says:

honestly, i’m curious to try it out. however, if its anything like a philly cheasteak i’ll hate it. i dont know how that city got a name for steak hoagies but they’re greasy,tasteless, and sit on your stomach like a ton of bricks. i usually support my local pizzeria when it comes to cheesteaks but we’ll see about Cosmo’s. I’ll give it a shot.

• fresh from philly Cheryl says:

I am a Philly Girl always. I have been in NE Pa. for 11 years and have missed my cheesesteaks. Anybody can fry up a cheesesteak. But yo gotta have the roll. Cosmo’s got the roll. Only Amaroso will do. And if yo know anything about Philly Steaks, you don’t need to go to Gino’s or Pats or Yuk Tony Lukes. Go to any corner pizza joint. They all make a good cheesesteak.